View Single Post
Old 09/07/2007, 10:29 AM
Older Than the Cretaceous

What I am saying is that on my refractometer a reading of 1.025 SG, not 1.0264, is aligned with a salinity of 35 ppt

Hold it guys. I don't think we're on the same page

OK, now we are

It should not be. I have never heard of that. The scales are the same, 35 ppt vs 1.0264, for either NSW or NaCl. It is the spacing of the numbers on the scale that is different.

I only know 1 company makes a handheld refract for Seawater, supposedly and I have not contacted them yet but have my doubts. There are programmable electronic refracts that can be programmed to anything, like those from MISCO ~$600. I contacted a number of companies for Randy when he was doing his article. All were stunned when I told them their "seawater/salinity" refracts where wrong. I had to prove it to them. One company ATAGO, said they would remove it from their products list or get it fixed so it does measure Seawater. I do not know if they have done this yet but the refract is still on their website. The Salinity Refractometer S/Mill-E, ~ $200

The RHS 10ATC is made by Huake Instrument Co.,Ltd. This is the scale or should be. Maybe yours was built on a Friday And the scale is 1.0264 = 35 ppt NaCl. Does the 0 ppt line-up with the 1.00 and does 1.060 line-up with 80 ppt ?

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.

Last edited by Boomer; 09/07/2007 at 10:54 AM.