View Single Post
Old 10/17/2007, 12:36 AM
President emeritus, ORCA

What takes the best macros for my price range?

I'm looking into getting a new camera but really have no clue. I used to use an Olympus C-60 6.1 MP that had a supermacro mode on it. It was a very decent camera and I had good use on it, but alas it is time to upgrade as technology continues its progression.

My main desire is obviously to capture my corals, but I do also enjoy taking fish shots, which require less of a delicate touch and more of an speedy capture. I want a generally all-purpose camera that takes movies(just decent is okay), has a rechargable battery(one of my favorite features and selling points of my Olympus), and can take beautiful close-ups. Also, if it could be relatively on the smaller side. Basically, I'm looking for a fairly easy to use camera that takes great pictures. I am a gadget geek, so I do know how to fiddle with settings, so that is not a major issue.

I am looking to spend between $200-500, preferably closer to the $200-300, but willing to spend a little more for the right camera. Anyone have any suggestions and/or examples? Thanks in advance for any of your help.