View Single Post
Old 07/19/2007, 06:35 AM
Hey sweetheart ;)

I would love to see your idea of decent coloured corals Chris! Descriptions are always a little subjective of course, but I would say over 80% of the acans that I have seen come from Australia over the last 5 months or so are truly spectacular - comparable to nothing Canada has ever imported for the hobby.

I would like to see some pictures of your decent coloured corals
Assuming we are talking acans here. I do own a few Aussie SPS which are quite nice as well...

Quote:
Originally posted by chris wright
Even in Australia it's hard to find decent coloured corals. As for being pests, some may think so, but many reefers have said on the local forums to be at the lfs on a thursday or friday or there's a good chance you will miss out.

Sps are easier to get if your willing to take a chance it will colour up, but the one acan I saw was to expensive and it was nothing to write home about. Other corals are much easier to obtain than lps.

The popularity of these corals probably has increased as the laws on collection have relaxed a little, but for how long who knows. With bleaching of the great barrier reef, this may change.

I'm not saying that the aussie's are superior corals, but i'm trying to say be aware as whats sold as aussies, because if demand is high you may not get what you are paying for. It happenings all the time. My local lfs always complains about incorrect orders.

As for lighting, it's personal preferance as to what's used, and there's always discussion's about what everyone else is doing. We try to get the same equipment as used in the US, but its harder here as our power requirements are different.

Loving the pics everyone, keep em coming.

Chris
:
2 Ampmaster 3000's (R&CL)
MTC HSA 1000 Skimmer on a PCX 100
MTC Procal Calcium Reactor

SPS dominated reef