View Single Post
Old 07/27/2005, 11:31 PM
Parapterois heterura

While I think live cultures are the best assuming you culture them properly, know your species and if they are useful to your filter-feeders, specifically, etc....

I must admit that this aspect of the hobby (phyto culture) is way too tedious to me.

I prefer to use fresh, refrigerated, bottled commercial products. Its not mystery that I use, recommend, admire the quality products from DTs. The man (Dennis Tagrin) knows his business and science very well(!). To chat with him at any of the hobby conferences is impressive, if such science and industry interest you.

And so... with a talented culturist, and a blend of species in a bottle that I do not have the time or money (necessary culture equipment), the purchase saves me a lot of time and serves my purposes very well (enough).

That all said, live phyto culture is popular with many aquarists. Rather simple, albeit tedious for at least a couple strains of phyto commonly available. Of course... there is the issue too of finessing the cultures to manufacture maximum nutritional value in the final product (this aspect of phyto culture is VERY interesting. not all bottles of the same/given species are the same nutritional quality).

Do a search of the archives my friend... there are tons of threads on the topic you seek here.

Afterwards... do followup with specific questions if you still have them.

best of luck/life,

Anthony

PS - to be clear here too... I am not paid to endorse this or any product! And I am sure that I have taken less free samples than most aquarists do at industry hobby/trade shows through the years. I simply speak my mind frankly about brands/products. FWIW. Just my opinion