View Single Post
Old 01/31/2005, 08:10 PM
Premium Member

Hi Anthony,

I think I failed to adequately explain my question.
Let me give it another try:

You've said that to help optimize skimmer performance, short of using a top mounted skimmer, that one might " get a small plastic or glass vessel (again... just large enough to squeak the skimmer into) and drill it to overflow into the sump".

If I'm directing the raw overflow into this vessel, and my turnover is 10-20x system volume, this is going to produce a hefty amount of turbulence in this vessel. Is that acceptable?

I understand that with said configuration the water level within the vessel will remain stable as it overflows at a preset level (dictated by the individual skimmer requirement?) into the sump, thus preventing variablility of pump head pressure.

Why would this be more advantageous than say a 4' long sump with raw overflow that enters at one end where it clears a baffle and travels to the other with the skimmer positioned in the center? If the sump water level is maintained constant at the ideal height for the skimmer via auto-top off, and excessive turbulence is controlled via a set of baffles where the raw water enters, would this not also be an optimal configuration?

Sorry, I'm not trying to be difficult...I'm just trying to understand why one configuration would be significantly advantageous than another.

Thanks for all the help!

Jeff