View Single Post
Old 12/15/2004, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rsman
Quote:
but the nitrites are up right now to 1-2 ppm, with a drip/sec.
its going to fast slow it down.
I will slow the flow as you recommend. I thought the NO2 spike was normal during the cycling process as the colonies were forming or trying to form. I'll slow it down today.

Quote:
How do you calculate the gph rating?
this time experience, otherwise dificult math
I figured as much about the math. I thought you may have had a simple technique that I could use. I can always measure the output for 15 mins in a measured container, then multiply this by 4, then by 24 to give me the amount for the day. I can convert this amount into gals or any other measurement I need.

Quote:
I haven't added anything up, but does a drop/sec = 8gph or 8gpd.
nope
I knew this wasn't the case. I was trying to see where the 8gph came from.

Quote:
I read on reeflougne.com that once a DIY coil deni has cycled, you can open the valve up for free flow of water. I was always under the impression that it had to stay roughly a drip/sec or a little faster (steady drip, but still a drip), but not full flow. This wasn't correct was it?
free flow is such a complicated thing, but yes that is correct as it cycles you should be slowly speeding it up, until its going quite fast. using gravity alone you probibly wont get 100% effieicncy, as you can often push the water just a bit faster, but to get 100% or anywhere near there takes more work settling for 80% by using gravity and just "opening it up" is a nice comprimise. also the once a DIY coil deni has cycled it should be as the CD is cycling
This is a new issue for me. I didn't know that you sped up the system once it finishes cycling. I now imagine you open it up as fast as it will go, but still be able to do the converting for the system to work. If nitrites are climbing then it needs to be turned down some. So the drip/sec or slower is only for the cycling process to form the colonies. I got it now. Once the colonies are formed, the flow can be increased. I now understand how 8 gph or 8gpd can be collected.

Quote:
a few gliders and electrics all using a Futaba 9C radio
cool im using a few radios my flash 5 is my current fav, i have a futaba 6something 50mhz but its older and lacks some of the features. [/B]
Hitec makes nice equiptment. I use a ton of their servos and Rx. I thought you may have had the Futaba 6EXA until I saw it was 50 mhZ. I really do like my 9C. I'd love to own the new $2199.00 14 ch. radio with Windows operating system, but that is a whole other discussion board.

Thanks again for the help.
Derrick