View Single Post
Old 12/15/2004, 07:20 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rsman
Seems more water would be processed with a longer length
NO NO NO NO

wrong direction!!!!

the coil has to be the correct size, larger diameter = longer coil, and its a heavy curve you double the diameter you almost tripple the length, dont experiment until you understand that, the results are BAD!!!, not trying to scare you away from building a coil denitrator, just be careful

next thing, of all the water that goes into the coil ALL of the nitrates are removed (assume its working)

No problem, you didn't scare me. I have built a denitrator for my 55 gal. 75' with 1/4" OD, 1/8" ID. It is still cycling, but I have tested the output and the nitrates are practically 0, but the nitrites are up right now to 1-2 ppm, with a drip/sec. I have a few more weeks left before the cycling completes.

My DIY Coil Deni is about 11-12" tall with a 4" diameter.. I have bioballs inside also. I have only 6-8 balls inside if I can remember correctly. That is all that would fit. Is this setup enough for the 55 gal or do I need to make a taller unit to hold more media? I want to process as much as a can without causing problems.

so how high of a bio load are you expecting,
a 2 coil unit using .170ID tubing 50' long will process aprox 8gph, you can do the math you do know that its not the same as a 192 gallon water change each day, as itll reduce the nitrate but itll mix and its kinda the same as frequent small changes but its going on 24/7, think you will need more processing power add more coils. now if its a breeding type of setup or another very high bio load setup, you can up the diameter and the length to process more but you add some $$ and up the process rate to way high.

How do you calculate the gph rating? I haven't added anything up, but does a drop/sec = 8gph or 8gpd.

A buddy has a 125gal and we are trying to come up with a denitrator that will handle his tank with ease. The tank doesn't have a heavy load now, but that will change over time and the right setup is needed.

So, if the diameter is doubled, then triple the length? ok

I read on reeflougne.com that once a DIY coil deni has cycled, you can open the valve up for free flow of water. I was always under the impression that it had to stay roughly a drip/sec or a little faster (steady drip, but still a drip), but not full flow. This wasn't correct was it?

<< side note hijacking the thread for a moment >>
Interests: Reefs, Model Airplanes
whatcha fly ???

my 3 favs are my modified spirit to 3m wingspan, a tallon, and a beachcraft bonanza.

I do like the Bonanza.

I have a Superstar 40 (46FX), FourStar 60 (YS .91FZ), Superstick 40 (46FX), Fat Free Taco (Saito 40), Funtana S 90 (YS 1.10FZ), Katana 1.40 (YS 1.40DZ), a few gliders and electrics all using a Futaba 9C radio.