View Single Post
Old 12/09/2004, 02:58 PM
the cow flys at dawn

usjaz
That is assuming that only the coiled tube is doing the nitrification processing (removing O2).
Could it be that the limiting fact here is precisely the assumption that only the coiled tube should perform nitrification?

ok so first off your seeing some kind of limit? that im not. if the bacteria in the coil are exposed to oxygen they will switch from aerobic to anaerobic (they do that) the results are nitrite.

Right. But even with a proper flow rate, The processing ability of the denitrator is still quite limited considering the amount of space it takes IMO. How can we improve it?
by sizing your coil denitrator for the job, look back over this thread at .170ID a length of only 50' is enough yet there are several different posts with people using 75', for whatever reason they feel. also if space is an issue dont use 2 tons of bio-balls 4 6 or even 8 is enough, the important part of the equasion is a slower but not stalled flow rate across some media.

I did say that in my post. And if a significant increased denitrification ability can be realized by utilizing these substrate, then one should, and need to, increase the feed rate to supply the sufficient nitrate
it cant, and you are creating stalled space, that is areas where the flow stops, at that point hydrogen sulfate is created, this will kill your tank. nitrate is not the only requirement of the bacteria, they breeth nitrate but still have to consume carbon.

And, even *IF* the nitrate is then only removed by the core of Denitrate substrate. *IF* (to be experiemented) denitrifying at a more efficient rate, does it really matter if the chamber is not complete anaerobic? It wouldn't.
except you cant control that. it wont be stable, itll be like any other denitrator that doesnt use the coil. there are a few you can search for them.

niko5

rsman, by duel coils you meen like take 75' or ice maker tubeing and coil it up then take another 75' and coil it inside of that coil and have 2 inputs for the denitrator?
thats the basics of it, if you have a really high bio-load feel free to use 3 coils instead of 2.

would 150 feet be to much for a 125 gal tank? In say 6" pipe 2' tall?
nope, and no need to go to a 6" pipe feel free to stay with 3"

it all really depends on bio-load, if you want to get more get a larger diameter tubing with a longer length, and though my tank has kinda crashed while i was away with only 5 fish left out of 12 my 125 FO was chuging along on 3 50' coils, a list of the nastiest fish there was a large sailfin tang and still a picasso trigger and a lunar wrase, the rest were kinda standard like a GSM clown, jewel damsel.

there hasnt been a working skimmer in a while and there is no LR (ok like 4lbs in the display ) and there is a huge DIY bio-wheel nitrates have not been a problem in a while, and i dont do waterchanges.

You know something else that would be need it an O2 sensor at the base of the unit where the water comes out of the coils then you can adjust the denitrator perfectly
ooh yea there you go complicate it even more testing for nitrite and nitrate will do just fine.