Thread: Our Tbs
View Single Post
Old 07/29/2006, 10:18 AM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
Originally posted by jezzeaepi
What smaller colorful fish would you recommend Brian? I only have 40g so not a ton of room.
My favorite fish (the next one I'm going to add) is the yellow assessor (Assessor flavissiums). Stay small, are as colorful as yellow tangs, don't poop as much and even have a little blue and orange on their face and fins.

If you like blue, the blue assessor (Assesssor macneilli) is a good choice.

Both of those are available captive bred through ORA.

Another pretty fish is the sunrise dottyback (Pseudochromis flavivertex), but they can be aggressive and should be the last fish added.

You could look at Chalk Bass (Serranus tortugarum), although they might attack small shrimp (like sexy shrimp or a very small cleaner shrimp).

Also the Swissguard Basslet (Liopropoma rubre)

Of course there are the smaller species of clownfish and banggai cardinalfish that would do well.

Maybe a pygmy angel or potter's angel, but both can pick at corals.

You could try a longfin fairy wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rubriventralis), but you'll need to get it eating prepared foods in a QT tank first and it should be the last fish added. Should be fed 2-3 times a day as well.

There is the Midas Blenny (Ecsenius midas)
Neon Goby ( Gibiosoma oceanops)
Blackray Shrimp Goby (Stonogobiops nematodes)
Firefish (purple and fire)

There are some others, but I think that is a good start.

With a 40 gallon you are probably looking at 3-5 fish comfortably if you have a short power loss.

Brian