View Single Post
Old 10/21/2003, 10:58 PM
Registered Member

I purchased four in the past year, all from wholesale distributiors (I have a resellers license). They are kept in various sized tanks, 2x300, 200, and 150g.

I selected these based on a specimen having even coloration, healthy appetite, and having intact fins. They were all purchased in the 4 to 5" size.

Nothing special about introducing them. I've always introduced them as the last fish, but also with subsequent additions.

These have been housed with volitan lions, large and small puffers, yellow tangs, eels, maroon clowns, harlequin tusks, other groupers, sweetlips, and golden trevally's.

In one situation, I added a larger harlequin tusk (6-7") to a setup with a 5" panther. I had to remove the harlequin within 15 minutes and it died within the hour. The panther did a number to it, chased it throughout the tank, cornered it and constantly attacked it. In another instance, the same panther attacked and killed a saddleback grouper. However, the other panthers did not respond in similar fashion and got along with harlequins and a miniatus grouper. I have one tank with two panthers (12" and 6"), the larger panther did nip at the smaller but they've settled in being buddies.

No comment on eating or hurting invertebrates.