View Single Post
Old 01/02/2008, 03:21 PM
Genuine reef addict

Quote:
Originally posted by leoslizards
Can anything in the common home reef kill you with a sting or bite or something? Example, jellyfish but they're not common in a home reef, I think. What about lion fish? This would help me avoid things when I start my reef system.
Good question and I sure can't answer it. I've always wondered myself how bad the sting is from a lionfish. Keep in mind that different people are affected in different ways. If you're alergic or become sensitized after several exposures/stings, the risk can increase. I'm not sure that there is a definite answer here. I think a bite from a blue ring octopus is often fatal, but they aren't commonly offered to aquarists, as with other especially toxic fish. Research what you buy before you buy it. I'd avoid the lionfish anyway - unless that's the only thing you want to keep - they have big mouths and will eat anything they can swallow. I have a Foxface, with venomous spines, but it avoids me, and I avoid it, but I don't think a sting is going to be fatal.