View Single Post
Old 04/06/2005, 07:46 AM
LTQ-MS FTW!

Location: University of Cincinnati, Chemistry department(I never leave)
Four fish not on the list, but ones I think should be are those who require huge aquariums -> Queen Triggerfish
And those who should only be kept by advanced aquarists -> Undulate Triggers, Clown Triggers, Blueline Triggers.

You are probably asking why I am suggesting such hardy, easy to keep fish
And my answer is this - few aquarists are prepared to deal with the aggressive tendencies of these fish long term. Most aquarists can buy a 2" baby clown trigger and let it grow, but once it hits 8" they don't want it any more - the fish is at this point too big and too aggressive. Most of these fish are best kept by themselves in a tank all their own and more often than not this will just not happen. People buy these fish thinking that they are suitable for communities, and once the murderous rampage begins people are either unable or unwilling to keep the fish. They tend to pawn them off and take them back to the store(which doesn't want them - because who really wants a 2' trigger fish that needs to be kept by itself and will kill any tank mate?).

Unless you are prepared to offer a triggerfish a tank of it's own, particularly one of these guys above, you should not buy them - the chance of them killing tank mates is too high, especially in the average size tank these are all kept in, which in most cases is debatably too small.