View Single Post
Old 03/24/2005, 02:22 PM
Moved On

Personally

And take a look at the tank I used to have! I have since upgraded to a much larger system, in fact 2 larger systems. I bought friggin Nemo, not from the movie, but I was online, becuase I am an online junkie. I do scuba, I do snorkel, I have been surfing for nearly 22 years. I participated in the Surfrider's foundation to help coserve my local beaches on Long Island, by helping map certain beaches, and tide areas. I also participated in kepping the Piping Plover(rare sea bird), during a few summers, whilst rich ***** Hamptoners drove their cars and walked straight through our guarded off Plover sites. Anyways, not tooting my horn by no means, just saying I am no schmuck! I researched my Nano Cube, and I bought two SI Perculas. Some Soft corals, etc... I Have lost and it goes:
Yellow Fiji Leather (parasite) if I new it was a yellow NUDI then as I do now, would have saved it.
Green Leather, no clue, cam half dead from Etropicals
Torch, I killed this, high ph spike I incorrectly mixed Kents Superbuffer
RBTA's 2 of them, duhno I know their supposed to be hardy, but they would just move to the back and refuse to eat ( I had 96 watts pc) plenty for that species.
2 Chromis died during rock n sand transfer.

BTW not all in my nano also bought a 18g via aqua

1 Bali Slimer, same PH Spike.
Current Tanks 60g cube in process of construction (2 Phoniex 14k 150des)
1 18 g via aqua,
1 12g nano cube, houses crabs, cbs, and rock

My point for all my stupid info is this:

I have killed a good number of reef creatures since starting this hobby, being a surfer, and a part time conservationist, I have to say I feel guilty, and ****ty about it. It was however, all part of the learning process. I believe this list, and websites like this, will help save future loses. Yeah, I know eventually everything will die, but isn't it better to keep 1 fish for 2-5 years, then buy a new fish every couple of months because your ignorant on what it takes to keep it, and its survivability rate.

I loved Fenner's book The Conscienscious Marien Aquarist
really opened my eyes.

Diving this past Jan in Carribean also helped a lot, seeing these fish in theri natural enviroment will awaken your eyes to what it means to give these fish a decent home. Bigger is better fellas...lol ok m2 ****ty 2 cents. Thanks for the list, sure others will thank you too.