View Single Post
Old 01/11/2008, 12:13 PM
Girl Geek

Sharks or Puffers/Triggers?

As I am rearranging some of my tanks, I'm planning on taking down my existing 125 and replacing it with at minimum a 180, but more likely around a 240. The existing 125 will be used as a sump. With rearrangements in tankmates, I'll be left with a blue regal tang, yellow tang, and coris wrasse.

At this point in planning, I'm stuck between planning for a bamboo shark or a porc/trigger mix for the future tank. I know that any choice must include the 3 fish that will be going into the new tank. I have just a few questions that may help decide.

Are sharks ok with decent size wrasses and vice versa? Mine is about 6" full grown.

Can a bamboo shark live a decent life in a 240gal? I may be able to go slightly larger, but I'd need to get out the tape measure. My blue tang at about 8" is in a 125 now, but it just seems it would be happier with a slightly larger tank. I want to make sure I don't get in the same situation a few years from now with a shark, though they don't seem to be as active as a tang.

Would a picasso trigger and porcupine puffer work together long term? With existing tankmates?

If you have been in a similar spot, what direction did you choose for a larger tank and why?

Thanks in advance for any help!