Thread: Our Tbs
View Single Post
Old 05/02/2005, 02:37 PM
Premium Member

RD, i would try and get your nitrates down to 0. after you've got your trates down to 0 for a few weeks, then start thinking of adding some simple corals, like star polyps, mushrooms or zoanthids.

i would treat your tank as if it is brand new (as of 4/19). i added clean-up at 4 weeks, my first mushrooms at 6 weeks, and my first fish between 8-10 weeks. i think this is a pretty good basis, as long as you dont go crazy with overloading it real fast. i added one coral every other week, and two more fish (at 1 month intervals) and kept a very steady tank.

this theory/timeline of course varies tank to tank. you really just need to get things as perfect as possible before starting to add to the tank, then monitor before/after/during each new addition.

the way i refrain from adding too much is with research. if i see something i like i read about it for a week or so. sometimes this keeps me from buying the livestock (due to negative effects on tankmates, aggressiveness, etc....), but at least gives my tank time to stabilize while im contimplating the livestock. if i decide to get something in particular i start to look for one. i dont ever buy the first anything i see. i like to have something to compare it too. this process generally takes a little time, also giving your tank much needed time.

by doing this, i have ended up with healthy specimens, that i know how to take care of. also, i end up with stuff i like in my tank. i dont have to worry about getting rid of anything because i dont like it, or its not exactly what i want.

waiting is always best, and nothing good ever happens fast in a reef tank