View Single Post
Old 04/21/2007, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

My 400 gallon system questions?

I am getting ready to build a wall with a 300 gallon display system. The tank will be 96x30 widex24 high. It will be viewable form both sides, my office and formal living room. I was going to use my 75 gallon as a sump but might make something bigger. I am making a calcium, phosban, and carbon reactor. Not sure about the skimmer I might start out with a diy or just spend the money there. I am going to try and put a sink in and also planning for ventilation with the lighting system. I am not sure how to do the fuge. I want to put it higher so it will gravity feed to tank. It will most likely have a DSB. I really like the profillux 2 controller but might wind up with an aqua controller. Well see how the funds hold up.

Here is something I have been thinking about. I would like to have some decent rock ready for the tank. I figure I could by some base and some cured rock to seed it. I wanted to pickup some base rock and start cooking it before I start on the wall. I have 2 tanks that I can get some of my salt water from on WC’s. I was thinking about buying a little plastic kiddie pool and hooking it up with a couple pumps I have. Now here is my question? Can I leave the pool outside and let the sun get to it with out lights. I am sure there might be more evaporation. Any ideas or thoughts on this? I can also put it on my patio so it doesn’t get too much light all day.

Since I am going to do this while I am purchasing the equipment for the tank and building the wall, I want to try and get this going the cheapest way so I can really spend my money on the rest of the equipment. I really don’t want my tank to be too full of rock. I like the open look with plenty of room for the fish to swim. I was thinking about starting of with 100lbs of base and 100lbs of cured. I was also going to get some south down sand and put it in the tub as well and 40lb of live sand to put to establish things.

I finally have a 2 month break form traveling but have 3 week class at the end of July. So I would like to have the base rock already starting to cure and maybe water in the tank for the cycle, before I leave. I am in no rush to start buying fish or corals. I really want to take my time and set this tank up right. I will have separate QT. I do not want to kill any fish from my impatience. I have some fish from my 75 gallon that I will introduce very slowly. While things are becoming moiré stable in the reef I can finish thing in my predator tank. I am going to give them my old 75 so I can have the 55 for QT or fuge or something. That should keep me busy so I can monitor how the big tank goes.

So here are my questions?

1. Having base rocks seeded outside with natural sunlight?
2. If I start off with 50/50 base/live rock is that enough?
3. Put the sand in so it can start as well??