View Single Post
Old 07/13/2005, 09:09 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rottielover
...I was sorta wondering how I'd deflate my BCD with my left hand (dump air when ascending) while holding my right arm up as well, and still check my ascent rate with the diving computer...
Exactly! Now you understand why I am suggesting the wrist configuration. Always think through in detail how you will use each piece of equipment for each task. It then becomes clear where items should be located.

Quote:
So far from the video and the book, it looks like they are going to teach us to ascend straight up and down with both arms raised to the heavens (left arm using the BCD inflator controls to dump air as you rise), not exactly sure why the right arm should be up and waving to the heaven's as of yet, but I'm sure they are going to tell us a good reason for it.
Since they are teaching you to ascend vertically (definitely NOT the method that I use) they want you to protect your head with your right hand. If secured with a bungee cord (see the thread on "Are you prepared for emergencies") your inflator hose will not be long enough to extend your left arm above your head. Thus the use of the right arm.

I know an instructor whose student ascended without looking and smashed his head on the bottom of the boat, knocking himself unconscious (fortunately he recovered fine).