View Single Post
Old 07/12/2005, 07:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rottielover
Oh, well the dive shop already put them in the console. It was a packaged deal, if you purchased the computer, they put it into a 2 gauge console and added a compass to the console. So we both have console's with three "gauges" on them in a row. They ziptied a brass clip to the console, but I was going to replace this with a "retractor" cord. I use these retractor's with my fly fishing vest already, so I was going to get some from the dive shop that are SW safe.
My wife originally had a 3-gauge console, but for $16 a piece I bought two rubber wrist-mounts from the manufacturer. I popped the compass into one that she wears on her left arm, and the computer (actually a digital depth/timer) into the other that she wears on her right arm. I fitted a stainless steel bolt-snap on the pressure gauge, which she clips-off at her left side. The console went into the trash can. She finds this configuration far more efficient. I use almost the same configuration except I attached my compass to a flip-chart slate that I wear on my left forearm, which holds my primary and alternate decompression schedules/dive-plans. For a $32 investment you can do the same if you so desire.

As for the retractor, they all seem to be fairly expensive (although I can't see why). I personally do not recommend it, but everyone has their own likes and dislikes. In my case it is a potential line of entanglement in a wreck penetration (and a Steel one no less). However, if you really have a burning desire to get one, make sure it is long enough so you can hold the compass in front of you while swimming.