View Single Post
Old 12/20/2007, 01:21 PM
Registered Member

I have heard that most wrasses in the Halichoeres genus will eat flatworms.

This includes the melanurus wrasse, green wrasse, lightning wrasse, neon wrasse, yellow wrasse, yellow & purple wrasse, marble wrasse, radiant wrasse, as well as some others.

It's hard to say though as halichoeres is the catch all genus for the wrasse family. If it doesn't fit another category, it gets tossed into the halechoeres genus.

I've also heard that the leopard wrasse will eat them, but they can be very difficult to feed in captivity. (as can some of the others mentioned.)

I've battled flat worms for some time, and it was finally brought to my attention that if I had better husbandry, I could fight them off.

I started feeding less, keeping up on my water changes, and skimming heavier in order to reduce the excess "crap" in which the worms feed on. So far it's seemed to work as their numbers are depleting.

I've used flatworm exit twice with no success. The second time I used a double dose, and almost wiped out my fish. Be careful, and siphon as many as you can first if you use FWE. Follow the directions carefully.