View Single Post
Old 12/17/2006, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

The indisputable fact that bubblemonkey intentionally deceived bergovoy by misrepresenting the condition of his item (he stated, new and perfect condtion) is proof positive that this was a premeditated swindle. No if's and's or but's about it. And I really can't comprehend how someone could then rationalize that type of deceptive con-man behavior by attaching some of the blame to the person that was swindled. Bergovoy was lied to and subsequently cheated out of his money by bubblemonkey, plain and simple.

I am under the impression based upon some of the responses found in this thread as well as the previous one posted by bergovoy (tank, sump and fish fiasco) that some of you are actually willing to tolerate this type of dishonest conduct. Sure it may be naive to just take someone at their word and buy their product without first verifying it's condition but there are some instances (this one is the perfect example) where that may not always be possible. I myself have been in the same exact situation where the sellers word was all I had. Fortunately for me though I have yet to be swindled.

Bergovoy did not have at his disposal any method to veryify bubblemonkey's assertion that the condition of the light fixture was new and in perfect condition. His only other option was to take bubblemonkey at his word which as it turns out is pretty much worthless. It doesn't matter one iota that bergovoy was shopping around for a "substandard or inferior" product. That truly is besides the point. Which brings me to mine.

Instead of rationalizing this shady deal and telling bergovoy to "eat some crow" the discussion should instead be about bubblemonkey's scandalized light fixture and making HIM eat some crow. He should be taken to task for lying about the condition of his light fixture and then selling it as such. No one in their right mind would have bought his light fixture had he been truthful and forthcoming about the real condition of it. In my opinion he should man-up and refund bergovoy's money instead of making excuses for himself. To take a man's money by deceit is still theft.

And no, I don't know bergovoy. Never met the guy but I understand clearly why he feels the way he does. It's easy to point the finger when it's someone else that's been duped but if it were one of us none of us would be saying to ourselves, "Oh well, it's all my fault. I should have known better." To be sure, we'd all feel exactly the same way he does.

Last edited by skairik; 12/17/2006 at 08:44 PM.