View Single Post
Old 01/07/2008, 01:06 PM
Premium Member

29 gallon SPS tank build...

I'm moving my tank from a 25 gallon to a new drilled 29 gallon tank that was a present for Christmas... I have a base stand for the tank, but will be building a canopy soon... This setup is going to be plumbed thru-wall and into a spare bedroom of my house...

Here's my equipment list...
29 gallon drilled tank (1" drain 3/4" return)
150 watt HQI MH with 14k Pheonix bulb
2x55watt PCs (10k and actinic)
2 Tunze Nanostreams 6025 (possibly to be modded)
AquaEuro Recirc 135 Skimmer
10 gallon fuge w/ PC lighting
25 gallon sump
JBJ ATO

This weekend I masked off the tank and painted to back a dark blue color... Looks good to me... I hate those plastic backgrounds when salt creep gets between them and the glass... I'll be updating as I finish the build and transfer my live rock and corals over...

Ready to be worked on...

Removed the bulklheads and masked everything off really well...

ready to paint....

Try to keep your strokes and painting even for the best results... I used almost an entire can for just this tank...

Spray paint dries fast, but I still let it sit outside for an hour or so before bringing inside...

Make sure you run a razor blade along the edge between the plastic frame and glass... the paint will peel off with the painters tape if you don't do this... believe me, I found out the hard way...

finished and blue..

Back in its home...

I tried my hardest but still got a little overspray under the black plastic frame near the center of the aquarium... its driving me crazy, but I keep telling myself you wont see it once the canopy is on the water level is set... we'll see, there's not much I could do anyways to get the paint from under there...

I've started picking up my plumbing pieces, so that will be next...

Jester