View Single Post
Old 11/18/2007, 02:08 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sjm817
Filter socks are not a bad thing. They keep the sump clean, eliminate turbulence and bubbles, quiet the noise, increase skimming performance of an internal skimmer. I change mine once a week. Maintenance time is very minor.

I dont like, or see a need to run a massive amount of flow through a sump. If you can do so successfully, that is good too.
I agree with everything you say. Massive flow is certainly not necessary and really never was my intention when planning as I knew I would still need internal powerheads(Vortech & mjmod currently). However the extra flow is certainly inviting. This tank is humming along wonderfully. Brown diatoms were gone in 3 days(witht the help of 15 Astreas) and my sand is as white as it was when it started 3 months ago.

I had never used socks prior to my build and I have to say I love them. I also switch them out every week as part of regular maintenance.

Feeding reef tanks in what used to be considered excess is now common place in the hobby. The socks help to remove uneaten food through the so it does not get into ever nook and cranny in the system Feed, Feed, Feed!!!

I really was not trying to pose an arguement, just to comment that the advice given was not entirely true and if someone is asking how to get more flow through the sump, it is possible.