View Single Post
Old 12/30/2007, 03:12 PM
Registered Member

i have to agree that 4 months is a little soon to claim success in a reef aquarium. there are many different problems that take time to develop before they become apparent. there are parts of the country that have amazingly low TDS tap water and i am curious as to what the posters TDS actually is.

for me, personally, i think of my tank like i do my car. (i happen to also be a car enthusiast as well) it may be more convenient/cheaper to run a slightly lower grade of oil or lower octane fuel, but in the long run, in some way, its going to be detrimental. i figure if somethings worth doing, its worth doing right, and even if my TDS on my tap water was say under 20...id still goin with 0 TDS RO/DI. if you want the best results you gotta have the best components, thats the plain and simple truth.

so kudos to those using tap water and having successful thriving reefs. i wouldnt claim success too early though, it could come back to bite you in the ***. im not trying to take any sides one way or the other, im just saying in a hobby that literally can live or die on miniscule parameters, you better just go with RO/DI.

JMO