View Single Post
Old 12/31/2007, 07:35 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cy88
Kyle,

Wow. Very nice!

I think this is what i am looking for: http://www.marcorocks.com/index.asp?...PROD&ProdID=40

I read it in one of the thread that 50lb of those dry rocks are more like double the quantity when compare to wet LR. Is that true? In that case, a box of 50lbs would do me alright?

How well would the marco rocks perform in terms of filtration?

Thanks again Kyle!

from what ive read/seen marco rock is about half the weight of wet "live rock." therefore 50lbs of marco rock should look like about 100lbs of wet live rock. that being said, 50lbs should be a good place to start for you. some of the weight will also turn into rubble from shipping that you can use for a fuge...if you have one. im setting up my 30g with 25lbs of marco rock which should arrive this week, hopefully.

in terms of filtration, the marco rock is dry DEAD live rock, so it will need to be cured first, and seeded with some amount of live rock to colonize it with bacteria before you add it to your tank. or you can cure it in your tank for a new setup. heres what ill be doing with mine if it helps:

-soak rock in 20g trashcan with 1 part muriatic acid, 10 part RO/DI solution with powerhead on for 24hrs.
-rinse rock in RO/DI water
-soak rock in RO/DI water for 24 hours in trashcan with powerhead
-rinse rock in RO/DI water
-add ~10lbs cured live rock from Premium Aquatics and cook in 20g trashcan with fresh saltwater, heater, powerhead and no light for 4-6 weeks until its fully cured and ready for transport in my tank.

HTH