View Single Post
Old 12/27/2007, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

fwiw

i felt like the reactor was a bit on the 'cheap' side too

that is it didnt seem like a high quality piece...
i see people hanging these all the time on the outside of their sumps and i gasp bec it wouldnt take much for one of the hoses to get pulled off - as they are just barely hanging onto the fittings.
have never noted any problems w/ the sponges as mentioned by the OP of this thread.

that said
you get what you pay for!... and i think i only paid 30-35 for reactor plus media that came with it... and w/ modifications this cheap piece of equipment is HIGHLY FUNCTIONAL! efficient and effective!... i have yet to have any problems w/ mine and bottom line dont see the 'need' to have anything fancier or more heavy duty then this unit.

for PEACE OF MIND
i removed the label and all the glue holding it on... then put hose clamps on all the fittings... only using a rio50 which never thought would put a dent in the phosphates in my 210gal system but in less then a week they were down! so w/ such small pump (needed or necessary) one doesnt need to worry anyway about high pressure causing the hoses to pop off (not that they would anyway but w/o the clamps i certainly wouldnt trust them)... and it goes without saying that mine was placed INSIDE the sump or sitting inside the sump - would NEVER trust this unit sitting outside the sump - although i know i am in the minority here as it seems everyone using these has them hanging outside - i dont want to take the chance w/ mine!...

for the money imo this is a highly effective unit
and considering the high price on everything in this industry i would buy another one of these w/o a second thought (again using modifications listed above).

regards