View Single Post
Old 01/11/2008, 06:17 PM
Registered Member

“I certainly did. Could you please state it again.”

Sure – the point was that industry demand (and often price wars) fueled by consumers continue to support unsafe behavior/practices. Be it coal mining/demand for coal, demand for pictures of celebrities, demand for guns (schools shootings vs aarp) etc. In my opinion, the consumer lacks responsibility in this country. It’s not an easy fix but if the price wars (among other things) stopped, safer equipment/practices might be used (or alternatives like the aquacultured livestock industry). Not quite related but... I work in the defense industry – and I found out this week that due to a price war, we found a loophole which is allowing my company to ship equipment to Iraq untested – yikes! A political issue is now brewing between camps of what’s “right” and what’s “profitably right” – neglecting soldier safety of course. I’m not sure the customer/government knows yet… but I wouldn’t be happy if I just spent $500m+!

“I agree. Rather than demand low prices like many hobbyists, I look for sustainable collection practices. It costs me more, but tends to be more beneficial in the long run.”

Excellent! I wish more did this =( I never know what to think of you because I never see “constructive” posts from you… just ones trying to refute things – which to me reminds me of tobacco companies claiming their products don’t cause cancer. Yet... you frequent the "responsible reefkeeping" forum =?

“It sure is. I've spent many years traveling abroad. The similarities between otherwise polar opposite cultures is sometimes fascinating. You really can't learn this stuff by reading about it.”

100% agree – in addition, one of my best friends over the years is now receiving her doctorate in psychology so it’s always intriguing to hear that angle vs sociological angles/experiences.

“You lost me here.”

Everything is related – you just need to break it down. It’s not a direct relation of course but you can definitely see some links. You may not think you and I are related or that what I do has any impact on you… but it may. Everything I do, whether it be typing here, or writing in magazines, volunteering in public organizations or having my aquarium featured in a book you may have read – it’s all impactful and related in some way. Heck, windmills in another state are powering this PC right now which may/may not impact CO2 and Nitrous oxide in the atmosphere and supports a technology/engineer in another state. Small – but it’s there. This is why I want everyone to recycle, support renewable resources, be responsible etc.

Ttyl!

We live with each other, not for ourselves - Protect our planet