View Single Post
Old 01/09/2008, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RedEDGE2k1
No, it couldn't, because there is no structural support between the cabinet doors to carry the weight of the front of the tank (that's what the 2x6 header and 2x4 legs are for). On the back, the plywood supports the center span, with some cutouts to cut down on furniture weight. Hence, no 2x members on the back of the stand.

-Dustin
Putting aside our past ,

Can I ask once again, was the decision to use the 2x header set-up on the front based on engineering design or just on your personal experience/judgement? That's all I am looking for on this topic, really.

You made the front of the stand with a simple cut-out for the doors. You still have the top and sides of the plywood "frame" to carry load. Plywood is excellent for this purpose based on its interwoven laminate structure. The width of the cut-out seems too small to be of consequence in this issue. It looks as if you have about 8 inches of 3/4 inch oak plywood covering that opening. There should be very little if any deflection from the weight of the tank, seeing as the total weight is spread over the entire bottom surface.
Again, was the decision engineering based or gut feeling?

This, I feel, is how people learn to make these decisions for themselves, instead of being told by someone else, each time they have a project to consider. If they can learn to trust their gut feeling, as some of us do, then they will be brave enough to forge ahead. If not, they know to get a proper analysis done beforehand.