View Single Post
Old 01/09/2008, 10:36 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RedEDGE2k1
Ah...you're back. Go back and read the build -- I opted to use a 2x6 header to span the front of the tank, rather than implement a plywood center brace (blocking access to the sump and equipment below). Loading on the 2x6 header is transferred to the floor with two 2x4s at each end.

There's really only one thing to remember when thinking about building a DIY stand for a large (200+ gallon) aquarium -- either you know what you're doing, or you don't. If you don't, then you pay someone to do it or you buy an engineered one at the fish store.

Someone with no structural knowledge could spend $1200 building a 55g stand out of 8"x8" pressure treated pine and all the 2x4 braces they want, but if it's all put together with load-bearing screw connections and a Glu-Stic, it's going to fail.

Structures is 1% material strength and 99% engineered strength.
never left, you've just been ignoring me, remember?

i think you would be hard pressed to spend 1200 on a 55 gallon stand TBH. You could buy enough 8x8's to stack a solid 48" high x 48 w x 16 d for a lot less. No need for fasteners!

But really, as above, was this by engineering design or your own "gut feeling" that you used the frame design instead of the solid design you have on the back edge?