View Single Post
Old 06/27/2003, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

I was given a 45 gallon tank with a Volitans, large domino damsel(toughest meanest fish I've ever seen) and a large tomato clown. I was completely new to salt water, and these 3 fish luckily were very hardy.

I'd say no real special procedures for introducing/moving them, but make sure you don't get poked. Those spines are poisonous, and they can poke through bags. Also don't use a net, they'll get tangled up.

Mine grew to be about 12" long with his fin. I had him for 3 years, and I've never had a fish that interacted more with humans and other fish. Like it was mentioned, mine was very bold, but not at all aggressive (as long as the fish were big enough to not be dinner). In fact he almost acted as peacekeeper, chasing other fish when they fought.

It would follow me around the room, and if I looked into the tank, it would look back at me.

After a year or so, tomato clown and damsel got into a terminal battle I didn't really understand at the time. The damsel was too stressed and succumbed to parasites. The clown, who was very territorial, was found dead on the bottom, with a spine sticking out of the side. The lionfish was in the clown's "bed" and pouted. He wouldn't eat for days. I've never seen anything like it, it seemed like he had accidentally killed the clown and was sad.

His brown lines would turn almost red when he was ****ed, like when I'd do a water change, or had a net in the tank for something. He'd yawn when he woke up in the morning. I've never seen such an animated fish before or since.

He was amazingly quick when hunting. At his largest size, I'd feed him 5 goldfish at a time. He could eat 2 or 3 in one bite.

I moved to a place I couldn't keep the tank, and gave it to my brother who killed it. I'm still ****ed about it.