View Single Post
Old 02/05/2006, 03:07 AM
Registered Member

not another 120 in wall walk-through! (pictures)

For those who just can't get enough of blow-by-blow accounts of some dweeb setting up a 120 gallon reef tank: read on!

I Started my “in-wall� 120 SPS tank about a month ago. This design is a bit different because the tank isn’t really so much in-wall as a wall built around and over the tank. See pictures below. Basically I built a stand that I then lagged to the wall, then drywalled around it. The look I’m going for is to have it look part of the house. I own an older (1905) craftsman home with fir picture moldings and tall baseboards. I’ll be putting those around after the paint goes on.

I wish that I could have done a larger tank. 180-220 would have been more like it, but I was limited by the space between two windows length wise. I also didn’t want the tank to protrude too far out from the wall. And many people have suggested that 24� tall is so much more practical than 30�. So my tank is a 48x24x24 (1/2� thick) custom made by Envision Acrylics.

I’m fortunate to have one of the best acrylic manufacturers anywhere local to me. James at Envision was a total joy to work with—he actually came in on a Saturday just to meet me and talk about the tank. The craftsmanship is excellent and the attention to the small details great. The one sort of odd thing that I’ve done is make a corner overflow that takes the right back 18� x 8�. Actually, I think I already regret this—after reading Anthony Calfo’s threads on making basically a full-back overflow, I wish I would have at least given that serious consideration.

The reason I wanted a right corner overflow is because I planned to put the tank almost flush against the wall. My plan was to run plumbing over the right back corner and soffit around it.

We join my tank adventure in progress: I’ve built the stand out of doubled 2x6 (way overkill but everything I’m doing to this setup is designed to maximize sleeping well at night), using plenty of strong ties to buff it up. My house slopes about a quarter an inch from the wall in the 2 feet the tank spans out so I made the front half of the stand taller to compensate for it. I put the stand up on the wall and lagged it to the studs with 8 8� screws.

All the plumbing save the closed loop will be in the basement. I’m really looking forward to that! I can’t stand working in the tank I have now. My sump is impossible to do anything in and is a salty mess. The basement will give me plenty of space to work in.