View Single Post
Old 12/14/2007, 05:54 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by steve the plumb
by the way not to burst your bubble but I had a 30" tall tank and it was nice to look at but a pain in the *** to get my hand down to the bottom.Your tank will be 5 ft wide.You will need to get a long pair of tongs or get wet if you have to move any corals.My tank was 150 gal joke.
My last tank was 32" deep with a 2-3" sand bed and I didn't have any problem. I understand the extra 4" is a lot, but I really don't mind getting wet.

Quote:
the big question i have it wat kind of tank will this be? comunity fish and sps tank or soofties/lps tank? alot depends on what you want to house in the tank. then you need to match the equiptment to those animals and bio load.
The depth will, I think, help me because I want a mixed reef and plan on running 8-10 400w MH 14K. I figure I should be able to keep everything from SPS and LPS to softies.

I will keep typical reef safe fish. I plan on computer system for control (haven't decided which one yet). I will have a large refugium, and probably 2 large sumps, QT tank, and grow-out tank. I think I'm going to jump on the band-wagon and build my own skimmer, but I will buy a GEO reactor. I'm not going to run Ozone, but I will have a couple of media chambers. I had a 300 Gpd ro/di, and it was really overkill. I will most likely go with a 100 Gpd and a 50 Gpd as a back-up. I will also have a mixing tank set-up. I am thinking around 3 pumps right now 1 CL and 2 returns. Skimmer will be gravity fed. I am ordering the tank with 6 drains 3x2" and 3x1.5" (better to much than not enough).

I'm not sure exactly how much flow I am going to need and welcome suggestions.