View Single Post
Old 06/14/2007, 07:33 AM
Addicted to H2O

I'm sorry for not responding sooner to your comments. Thank you all for the kind words - this tank is the dream aquarium I've always wanted; it's easy to maintain, it has many of my favorite coral, and it's fun! I would say it has my favorite fish (seahorses), but sadly I had to give them away just two days ago. I am going off to college in a couple months, and my parents will be caring for the tank. They did not want to have to worry about feeding and looking after the horses, so we put a pair of onyx clowns in their place, along with a rose anemone. This will be easier on them, although parting with my horses was bittersweet.

Anyway, here are the answers to some of your questions:

- The camera I used was a point-and-shoot Canon SD800 IS. It's a great camera for the size and price, and I was impressed by the quality of the images. The camera is 7 mp, and all the shots were taken using its manual mode and the highest quality possible. No lenses were used when taking these pics, as it's not an SLR camera.

Quote:
Originally posted by louist
I remember you were considering finding them a new home because you didn't have time to look after them? Or is my memory failing me?
- No, you're correct, Louis; I found my previous herd new homes due to the business of my senior year, but I couldn't stand not having horses for long (which makes me wonder how this change will go). BUT, I don't have much choice in the matter this time, and the clowns are a great addition.

- The tank is about 6 months old under my care, but it was previously set up (without the coral and other misc additions) for a few years. I also changed the lighting to T5 from halides, as horses prefer less intense lighting and to reduce the heat generated. I am VERY impressed by the TEK lighting fixture. The skimmer is an AquaC Remora, and it does a good job of removing all the excess nutrients, although xenia runs rampant (to the point of being a weed), which is probably another contributing factor to the lack of detectable nitrates.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. And as always, happy reefing!

Life is the art of drawing without an eraser.