View Single Post
Old 01/11/2008, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

I just built an 8" diy skimmer and have it gravity fed and it's rocking the caspah on my 90 gallon. No cyano or flatworms after 2 days and the water clarity couldn't be clearer. I went old school and put a U upside down in my internal overflow with 1" PVC and connected it to a 3/4" nylon tubing via a threaded barb. It runs to my skimmer which is on the side of my tank and I have a ball valve before the skimmer to control flow (this also helps because when I do water changes/clean the tank I just cut the ball valve and it stops the suction, when I turn it back full it starts it again). This way I still get surface residue from the overflow but all the water isn't running through my skimmer (would be about 500GPH and IME high flow through skimmer causes inefficiency and problems) and the rest flows into my sump/fuge. I have no problems with bubbles because it never sucks up air and the flow is always constant. Also...if you put a hole right below the surface then no matter how far down the pipe goes, once it reaches the hole it cuts the suction. Of course pictures speak a thousand words so if you interested in my set up just tell me. It is by far the most convenient set up I've had.