Thread: Tunze nano mod
View Single Post
Old 04/29/2007, 10:30 PM
Premium Member

A DIY wavebox sounds intimidating, do you have a link?

I resisted modding the 6055 shroud since I use the DIY large shroud anyway, but in order to know for sure how much more flow the mods can do to the 6055, I ended up doing the standard and full blast mods after all. This time however the full blast mod is much more open than what I did for the 6025 for two reasons:

1) To achieve as much flow increase as possible, 2) to direct as much flow through the underside bull blast slits as possible so the pump can be as close to the water surface without sucking in air.

After the mods the bag test gave me 1,800 gph with the 6055 prop, less than what I had estimated earlier but still not too bad. The flow increase is then 24%, and the pump can be as little as 1/2" below water surface without sucking air, that is in full speed, if put on the controller for 100/30 pulsing, the pump can literally touch the water surface if the nozzle is pointed down somewhat.

Two potential problems: 1) the 6055 uses a stainless steel washer instead of the plastic ones in the 6025/6045's. But it is very loose dropped out easily and can be easily lost, so need to be careful. Use of a stainless steel washer is of course a good idea since the 6055 is more powerful, the magnet driver presses against the bottom of the motor with much more force. 2) The 6055 prop is slightly larger than those of 6025 and 6045, the fit between the prop blades and the shroud is so close a slight misalignment can cause the blades to rub against the shroud, making big noise. That could happen even when the shroud seems properly seated on the motor half. After the mod the inner plastic surface became rough so the issue was more obvious, I had to sand the inside down really good to make it silent.

Luckily the nano pump is so flexible in how you rotate the ball that you can easily find a perfect position for total silent operation still have the flow point at the direction you want. Of course I am using the large DIY shroud so it is not an issue.

Still the above potential issues should be addressed if they become common complaint. Only time will tell.

Last edited by jacmyoung; 04/29/2007 at 10:44 PM.