View Single Post
Old 03/07/2007, 12:43 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gonodactylus
I'm currently on the Great Barrier Reef chasing stomatopods. I have very limited email, so there isn't much I can do to modify the list. Bottom line with respect to longevity is that we have good data for only a few species. Most gonodactyloids live 4 - 7 years. Hemisquilla less - probably 4 or 5. Squillids about 3-4. Lysiosquillina up to 20. The best data we have are for Neogonodactylus which live 5 - 7.

I did try to provide lighting information based on depth. Species such as Neogonodactylus wennerae and G. affinis go pink or red below 10 m (blue light) and green shallower ( broad spectrum). Species such as Odontodactylus change little with depth.

As for metric, there are lots of good conversion programs on the web.

Back to pod catching.

Roy
My plan is still to build a nice setup for a Squilla Empusa and try to capture another when I come back from being at sea this summer. Does this mean that they are only likely to live for 3-4 years, and if so, how old are they when they get big. The one that I caught before aw about six inches long, and I wonder if he as almost as old as they get? What do you know about them? I know we're not on your coast really, so if you want me to get you some, I'd gladly give it a whack. They really have some great colors. They look like they're all beige, but they really have great subtle blues, greens and purples. Gorgeous.

-nls