View Single Post
Old 01/10/2008, 10:57 AM
Crazy Is As Crazy Does...

Cool Customcolor - Experimentation is fun

Again, I'm not a scientist, so I don't know how 4% would affect anything. It will be ok for the cement, that is for sure, and as I said, might react as aluminum powder would and cause air voids, which could be cool, but I'd be interested in a water quality test to see what the total aluminum is after Kuring. But I am a worry-wart, so...
But a better way to see if this stuff is going to produce air voids would be to mix the cement and grit into a moderately thick paste, make 2 pieces - one with grit and one with normal sand and shape them no more than 1" thick. Let them sit for 24-48 hours, then crack them open and examine the broken plane with a magnifying glass to see if there is any difference.

And on another note, I've completed my first full run of the MRS! I must say, it performed better then I expected. My ramp-up time took longer then I thought - I started with cold water, which on hindsight was a mistake - start it with hot water and the time frame should work better. Had to tweak the hose a bit, but finally found the right "lay" for it so condensation wouldn't pool in the hose and block steam flow. I managed to keep a steady 150-155°F for 5 hours. I had to refill the PC once with almost boiling water.

Anyway, my livestock should be here any minute, so will do a proper write-up later today or tonight, complete with pictures