Thread: Algae Disaster
View Single Post
Old 12/31/2007, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

I agree with Rick, I switched to RO water and after about a month the change in Algae growth was amazing- it basically just went away. Tap water has a lot of nasties like phosphates, and other chemicals used to aide in chlorination and to keep mineral deposits from building in pipes. In some cities floride is added, which may also have impacts on algae growth. Organic nutrients are also present-like the one time bear died in the lake where we get our water. Over time this stuff builds up in a closed system and each time you add water you just add to the problem. I used to work in lab that tested drinking water. One of the more interesting issues is that the levels of nutrients changes throughout the year, so it is difficult to predict how much of the crap your putting in your tank. Not to mention sometimes things go wrong at treatment plants and while the screwups may not be harmful to humans, our tanks often don't repspond well. Think about it, your relying on the city to provide you with water that needs to be of a quality above and beyond what humans need.