Thread: Algae Disaster
View Single Post
Old 11/28/2007, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

First I would like to thank all of you for responding. I will try to answer all the questions in one shot.

I use tap water that has been sitting for 24 hours with the salt stirred by a pump. I had been in this house for 3 years before the problems arose so it can't be the water.

I don't use anything on the bottom of the tank. I don't use Sand or crushed coral anymore it makes too much of a mess. Anything that was on the bottom of the tank was left.

It is not hair algae (have had that problem before and beat it). this is normal Algae that you would like, but multiply that times ten.

My Nitrates are low and fish are healthy. No cloudiness of the eyes. it is the Nitrites that are high which does not make any sense.

My wet/dry filter was not disturbed. I kept it alive during the trasfer from one tank to another.

I do not bleach my coral as I like the algae because I do like to keep tangs. The rock is live (or it was before the algae disaster) and it has the purple coraline algae on it. I have about 200 lbs of coral and I had a few soft corals and mushrooms until they were overtaken by the algae bloom.

Any other suggestions would be helpful. I got so desparate last night that I cleaned every pump and filter to see if anything was slowing the flow. I am doing water changes about once a week now and I am still not seeing any improvements