View Single Post
Old 04/28/2007, 11:50 AM
Registered Member

New RS180 first timer

Just bought a Euroreef RS 180 (2007 new features) model with the 1/3 turn quick release. This is my first skimmer ever so this thing is foreign to me. The questions I have:

1. The book says 6 to 8" of water. My sump has 12" baffles. Is it going to be necessary to put a stand in my sump? The distributor where I bought it says the water depth is not too important with the new design. And the skimmer sitting in 12" of water will have little effect on the operation....yes, no, maybe?

2. I notice that the little handle on the pump will not allow me to push the elbow fitting completely on. The skimmer does not sit flush on the floor of the sump and it is a bit wobbly. If I had the little extra push on the fitting, everything would lay flat. It looks to me that if I want it to sit flat, I'll have to cut off the pump handle...anybody aware of this?

3. Do people pad the bottom of their skimmers? Seems like acryllic touching acryllic could create a buzzing sound due to vibration from the pump...no?

4. If the sticker is to be submerged under water, should it be peeled off?

5. Do you guys do the disinfecting routine on these skimmers?

6. Do people give their skimmers a 'test run' before they put them in the sump? Like test it in the bathtub just to make sure the pump comes on?

7. The lid to the skimmer does not fasten down. It just rests on the top. I've seen other skimmers where the lid is actually bolted on. Am I missing any parts? There are holes in the lid. But at closer inspection, it looks like this is the way it is supposed to be. I have to ask.

Please bear with me. I've done a bunch of reading about skimmers and that is why I picked this one. But I have not seen any of the 'finer' points discussed. I've seen plenty of arguments about which one to buy....that's for sure. But I believe I picked a great skimmer. The problem is that I've never seen one before. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.