View Single Post
Old 12/29/2006, 11:55 AM
Moved On

I'll tell you guys about one experience I had at a local Petco (only one). I'm usually one who keeps "certain" opinions to myself for the sake of discrediting certain businesses and to avoid making a scene. This Petco (in Northern California) just happen to have a mandarin dragonet; a fish that my wife absolutely adores. Anyways, after searching 4 or 5 different stores trying to find a suitable species that was both healthy (fat) and eats, we find see this one.

It was BIG (had to be at least 3.5 inches!) AND it looked healthy; not to mention--CHEAP! So...being the big skeptic I was I had asked to see a sales associate to ask about background info concerning this thing despite having done probably 10X the research prior to visiting this place.

"How long have you had this thing?" ans...2 months. (acc. to Sales Person)

"What do you feed it?" ans...FROZEN BRINE SHIMP! (acc. to Sales Person) CAN'T BE RIGHT.

"How often do you feed it?" ans...Once a day (acc. to Sales Person)

"Where did it come from?" ans..."not sure." (acc. to Sales Person)

blah blah blah...

Finally, the ultimate question: "Can I see you feed him?" ans...we can't do that, they're on a schedule; so he's already been fed. (acc. to sales person)

Out of nowhere, my wife says to me, "HUNNEY...look over here: this powder blue tang has a serious case of marine ich...so does that puffer! These fish must all be sharing the same water!"

While other customers are standing nearby, I look over at the powder blue tang and the pufferfish and in a surly and direct tone I said to my wife, "WE ARE OUT OF HERE...AND WE ARE NOT COMING BACK!"

On my way out, I saw a little sign that said, "no refunds on saltwater fish".

Just pathetic! Petco should never even be in the business of Marine Aquarium livestock.