View Single Post
Old 01/09/2008, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

Reefman,
he's got a Canon and as far as I know canon does not have an 18-200. The one he's considering is a lower quality lense than the Nikon 18-200 VR. I guess Tamron came up with an 18-250VR still this is a very hard zoom lense to manufacture and I guess the image qulity of that lense wether on a Canon or Nikon will not match the quality of the 18-200Vr ehich still is behind pro glass quality. One nice thing I like in Nikon is that non pro quality glass is better than Canons and still not that expensive.
Actully I bought my 18-200VR before I even bought the camera Body. I was coming back from Holland and there it was in the Duty free while everyone in the states was on 2-3 months waiting lists and paying more than the official price....
as for the 2x converter remember that it will take around 2 stops of your light and the 18-200 is starting from 5.6 if zoomed. your autofocus will suffer and you will need a lot more light. Also your image quality will suffer and the 18-200VR does not have much to spare. I would suggest investing in a dedicated macro lens if your objective in perfecting your close up macros.