View Single Post
Old 01/08/2008, 02:38 PM
Registered Member

I second beerguy on getting other lenses. 3 of 4 lenses I won are Nikon and I only have the Tamron 17-50 2.8 and thats reported to be a pro quality lense from Tamron. I once purchased a Pro master 28-105 lense as I dropped a lens and needed a replacement while it was shiped ot Japan to have it fixed and that Promaster lense was just garbage.
Which lense do you currently own?
if it doesn't duplicate the focal length you have and if you're ok with a shorter reach lens, the 17-50 2.8 Tamron or maybe it's Sigma equivalent 18-50 2.8 would be nice and affordable choices.
Sigma have a newer version of that lense that comes with a Macro button. It is said to have dealt with the issues of it's previous version. I still have to test my Tamron 17-50 more extensively to make an oppinion on it however till now it looks good.
my reason for getting the Tamron version and not the Sigma was that it zooms in the same direction as my other Nikon lenses. Both are said to be very sharp. The Tamron lens is said to be even sharper than the Nikon 17-55 2.8 which costs around 1.5K. Still both lenses have been known to suffer from lack of serious QC. so make sure to check whatever lense you get for issues like back/front focusing or maybe exagerated softness when wide opened... and make sure you have a service center for it near you if needed or the ability to return it if your buying online.
Try to read some reviews on those and other lenses before you rush into buying anything and also check with other Canon users for other alternatives. at least a 17-50 or 18-50 2.8 lense would be faster than a 3.5 5.6 18-200. Manufacturing such a wide coverage zoom lens was considered a breakthrough and it came at a price of a bit of softness that these lense suffer from in addition to some distortions. longer range zoom lenses especially lenses considered to be a pro version suffer a lot less from this.