View Single Post
Old 08/22/2006, 05:10 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by Enderrea
I hate Change!...... I guess i am getting old ......... but i really think it is getting up there. nice job you are doing this alone ? looks better them say ...........Seattle times web page ... Ooops . You are doing a great Job Marc!
When I made the first few pages, I just toiled all night until 7am making pages. However, I had specific ideas in mind that I wasn't able to resolve on my own, and a local member had emailed me a month ago about how I should use CSS for the new look. Since he was so kind in offering me some advice, I decided to ask him for some help with that after studying some CSS Tutorials on the web.

Many years ago, I used to write my own programs in GFA Basic (Go Atari! ) and developed a number of programs for my own BBS that I ran for 7 years. Then about 4 years ago I started learning HTML so I could make my own webpages. Melevsreef just became this entity of its own, constantly growing as I added more content. Current the site holds 1 gig of data that is accessed daily by people around the world.

My point is, looking at Java Script and CSS didn't phase me at all, as it resembles Basic to me. Sure, you have follow the rules and know what options are even actual code, but Steve helped me get things working. We traded quite a few emails over a 48 hour period, and he showed me some very cool stuff.

I'm still holding onto some stuff that he would never approve up, code-wise. He wants me to code everything to CSS, and I've added a couple of extra styles (I guess that is what they are called) to produce the needed results on specific pages like "What is a Sump?" Other code is just simpler for me to use HTML.

I'm not a graphic artist at all, and Photoshop knows way more than I do. I do have a couple of cool ideas for some future themed sections, but don't know if I'll be able to do it or if I'll have to solicit a little help, but there's no rush on that at the moment.

If you notice, the banners I've added feature one to RC as well as our local club. They come up randomly. Another points to a reefing radio show that only comes out when Evan's in the mood. As people are visiting the site, they'll discover these other options more readily, and come log onto RC or join our club if they live nearby. I mean, why wouldn't they?