View Single Post
Old 08/22/2006, 01:16 PM
TRC Leader

I just got lucky.

SBC/At&t have been out here for the past week replacing old phone lines with new ones. It requires underground drilling and a backhoe. They did a very nice job not destroying my yard, but today as the guy was loading the backhoe on the flatbed trailer behind his large truck, the vehicles brakes let go and it started rolling down the street while he was still driving the backhoe up the steel ramps. He leaped out of the life-sized Tonka toy and ran up to the vehicle to stop it from rolling out of control.

He was able to miss my vehicle by about 6", but couldn't quite save my neighbor's. When he got the thing stopped, it was diagonally located on the street and in my yard, with our vehicles sandwiching it like an oreo cookie -- if you can imagine an orea with a huge Tonka toy sticking out of one end.

The neighbor isn't answering his door, so I told them to leave a note that said "Dear sir, your wife backed up into our truck and caused some damage. We think she was drinking. Please contact us ASAP..."

They did leave him a note with an apology. It wasn't a disaster, but the bumper is mangled and the back quarter-panel's been rubbed.

Phew!