View Single Post
Old 07/22/2003, 04:12 PM
Fish Addict

Re: survey questions

Did you mail order this fish and would you recommend mail order this fish? Are there captive-raised/bred specimen available and where? no, got it from the LFS. To my knowledge it is not captive bred

Any tips on how you picked a healthy specimen of this species from LFS? What do you think is the ideal size to get?don't get a huge one or a tiny one. in between is good. should not be thin, should be active and inquisitive and eating

Are there any noticeable differences in body shape, pattern or color among the same species or between juvenile and adult of this species? yes, the spots change a bit and the yellow can become more pronounced. It's not like super dramatic.

ACCLIMATION AND INTRODUCTION
Any special tips about the acclimation and introduction of this fish? no, like all other fish temp and ph match and then drip and intro

Any special needs for this fish or special considerations for young specimen? don't get a super small one...the middle sizes have no special requirements beyond a good tank

Should this fish be the first or the last to introduce to a tank? last...they are no pushovers and can in fact become pretty violent

COMPATIBILITY
What tankmates do you have with this fish?Is it a reef or FO tank? It is a FO type fish, it is a "rough and tumble" fish--mine ended up in a species tank w/a friend taking care of it after I left

Have you had more than one of this species in the same tank? If so, is there a certain male/female ratio or group number worked for you (to have a harem or pecking order)? Do they school? never tried, wouldn't try

Have you had other species of the same genus/family in the same tank?ditto

What’s the stocking order (considering the above factors) that worked for you?
Did this fish hurt/eat any of other fish (or vice versa)? it became a mean, antisocial, but full of character fish, hence it went into a species tank instead of back to the store. It killed several other fish
Did this fish hurt/eat Cnidaria (corals, mushrooms or anemones)?yes, but it "sampled" them, never really "ate" them

Did this fish hurt/eat ornamental crustaceans (shrimps, hermits, crabs)? oh yeah....

Did this fish hurt/eat Mollusks (snails, clams, oysters, mussels)?did someone say lunch?

Did this fish hurt/eat Echinoderms (sea cucumbers, sea stars, urchins)?no experience
Did this fish hurt/eat Worms (feather dusters, flat worms, etc)?no experience

FEEDING
How did you get this fish to eat at first? Uh, I was feeding the other fish and it decided food was good

If this fish only accepted live food, how did you wean it over to prepared food? prepared food from the start

What’s the diet? crustaceans, urchin, formula foods

How much and how often do you feed? twice a day, quite a bit really

How does this fish eat?search and destroy

Does this fish eat any microalgae or macroalgae in your tank? If so what type of algae? not that I noticed

GROWTH RATE AND LIFE SPAN
What is the initial size of your fish and maximum size it reached? How fast did it grow (how much growth over a given period of time)? about 2 inches to 9 inches in 1.5 years

What size tank did this fish live in? (or how soon did this fish outgrow what size tank)? What do you think is the minimum tank size required for an adult specimen of this fish? 30 to 90 to 90 species. Probably deserves a 125 or bigger

If this fish went through body pattern change from juvenile to adult, was the change complete? How long did it take? n/a

How long have you kept this fish? If you no longer have this fish, what was the cause? I moved

What is the longest lifespan and the maximum size of this fish in home aquarium and/or in the wild reported? I think lifespans greater than 10 years in captivity are reported, but I'm not sure

DISEASE AND TREATMENT
What disease has this fish had? How did you treat it, for how long? What's the effect of the treatment? N/A

BEHAVIOR
Does this fish change body color under any circumstances? yeah it gets pale when freaked out

Does this fish dig the substrate often? yeah it digs a lot

How active is this fish? Is this fish shy? wasn't shy at all, constantly exploring, digging, biting

How territorial or aggressive is this fish? How does this fish interact with tankmates? started out ok, then decided the whole tank was his/its

Did this fish ever jump out of the tank? no

How does this fish sleep? like all triggers in a rock or cave

Does this fish allow cleaners to clean? If so which cleaner and how often? N/A
How does this fish interact with human? you could hand feed it, but it'll bite ya

Did the fish release toxic substance that killed other creatures in the tank? no
Any other interesting observation of this fish? killer fish for a BIG tank or a species tank

SUMMARY
Your overall assessment of this species -
How sensitive is this fish to poor water quality on a scale of 1-5? not that sensitive really, but I wouldn't ever cycle w/any fish. Would probably survive ammonia spikes, but why chance it?

Do you think we should not keep this fish (for what reason)? you just gotta know what you're in for
Would you recommend this fish to beginners? no b/c most don't have tanks big enough
Is this fish best kept in mature/established (6 months or older) tank? most are, but that's not realistic
Any other recommendations/comments? no