Old 06/02/2007, 11:27 PM
Premium Member

finally beginning my 480g 5'x5'x30" SPS Reef Tank

Total Volume: approximately 1030g

Tank details

Display Tank
Dimensions: 60"x60"x30"
Volume: approximately 480g
Glass: 1" Starphire Glass made by laminating 2 1/2" pieces together for all four sides
Description: This display will be seen from all four sides from 3 different rooms. I am going for a canyon rockwork with no traditional overflows. The main drains are two 2.5" versions of the ELOS drains I have seen on another reef central member's 300g ELOS custom tank (please excuse me but I do not remember the username or I would give you more credit). The two closed loop systems are supplied by two 1.5" drains located below the main drains on opposite sides of the tank. I will post some "sketch up" diagrams later to better illustrate my design.

Filtration
Main Sump: 180g glass tank (72"x24"x24")
Refugium: 210g glass tank (72"x24"x29")
Frag Tank: 40g glass breeder tank (36"x18"x16")
Water Change: 120g glass tank (48"x24"x24")
Quarantine: My current 120g Oceanic Tech tank (48"x24"x24")
Skimmer: Deltec AP1003 w/ self cleaning head
Calcium Reactor: Deltec PF1001
Fluidized Reactor 2x Deltec FR616

Pumps
Main Pump 1: Hammerhead
Main Pump 2: Hammerhead
Closed Loop 1: Dart
Closed Loop 2: Dart
Water Change Pump: Dart

Display Water Movement
4x 1" Wavy Seas for the main return
2x Tunze Streams with Multicontroller (might add 2 more if needed later)
Eight way Oceans Motions for Closed Loop 1
Two way Oceans Motions for Closed Loop 2

Lighting
Display: 4x 60" H4 Solaris LED Fixture
Frag: 24" H4 Solaris LED Fixture
Refugium: 2x 64" Compact Florescent

Stands
Display: 4"x4" Powder Coated Steel (excessive but I'm actually getting a deal on the materials)
Filtration Room: Still waiting for a qoute but my current plan is to go with 2"x 2" Powder Coated Steel stands

Stocking
-Its going to be a while but I plan on having 2 large schools of anthias alongside a variety of tangs and hopefully some rare angel fish that won't destroy my SPS corals to much.
-Planning on keeping mostly SPS corals with some soft corals and zoos on outlaying rocks (not attached to the main rock structure)
-Clams

Controller
I think I want to go with the ELOS biotopus but I have not made up my mind yet. I am rather frustrated with the range of options out there. Any help in this category would be great. I am mostly concerned about customer service from ELOS but I'm not sure if this will really be a problem.

I have been researching for this tank for a long time now. I have not seen any tanks that are 5' long and 5' wide some I can't wait to get it up and running. Thanks to reefcentral and the main great threads on large reef tanks to help me along my way. This site and the other members have inspired me to make the lead to a significantly larger tank.

I have already purchased just about everything but life stock, a good controller and the stands. I received my deltec and solaris equipment recently and will post pictures as soon as I can. As always, any advice would be greatly appreciate