View Single Post
Old 03/29/2006, 09:38 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeatjac
I will be dosing the same way as robthorn. I have CV ordered and will order AAHC today. This my second week on prodibio.

I do have some questions.

I run a calcium Reactor so my PH does run lower than I like. In the past I had adjusted the CR so the output did not meet my tanks needs and then 3 times a week I would use the Slurry method to add Kalk. This helped with the PH. I am adding a second canister to my CR this weekend to see if that helps raise my PH. Since Slurry and Drip methods are not preferred here, what is the "balling" method of adding calcium?

I understand the thought on Ozone, but does the bacteria stay in the water column all the time? Robsreef said it was ok to turn your ozone back on after 3 days from dosing. This makes sense to me. Your thoughts.

Thanks
Mike
Hi Mike

As far as I can tell the balling method is the same as described by Randy here:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

Do you have much in the way of aragonite to buffer the water? My CA reactor is on 24/7 and the range I get is 8.1 - 8.27 each. I do trickle the effluent over arm media - the module on the right of the attached pic.

Re Ozone - I think its a question of trial and error - most bacterial guilds will attach to a subtrate - but as I understand it corals consum bacs for food so some free floatings bacteria will be helpful. Thats one of the purposes of shaking the zeolites daily in the Zeo basic 4 method. I have used UV for a few days when I susspected STN and saw no damage as a result- I guess thats the beauty of reinocculating ballanced bacterial guilds every couple of weeks. Can you leave Ozone off untill you have a specific issue when it could help?

Cheers

Simon

Simon