View Single Post
Old 09/07/2005, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

can't keep my fish alive!

hi, am writing in hopes of getting some information on what i need to do to keep my fish from dying of ich, or atleast i think that is what it is. i have a 150 gallon reef tank with about 70 pounds of live rock, a emporor 400 filter and a super skimmer protien skimmer. my corals are doing great and my live rocks are developing very nice, nitrates a little high but other than that my water is fine. the only fish i have been able to keep alive for more than a month is a chainlink eel, i guess the only reason he lived is because of his inability to get ick, or so i think. so far i have lost 1 blue jaw trigger, panther grouper, 2 clown fish, 2 yellow tangs and 3 purple tangs and a lion tang, some of those were in there before the reef came of course. It is really frustrating too keep buying fish and having them die. I Feed them galic elixer when i see signs of ick but it never seems to faze them. I have also tried fresh water dips but had no luck.I have thought of getting a shark or a ray and put in there just so i wont lose a fish to ick, but then i would have to get rid of my corals, i think, and i really want to keep it a reef tank. I found a chemical that i could treat the water with but it is not reef safe or liverock safe. so i cant put that in the water. Im really curious if anyone else has lost so many fish due to ick or if im doing something wrong. I would really appreciate any help anybody could give me. thanks, seth