Thread: elegance thread
View Single Post
Old 12/20/2007, 09:37 PM
always hungry

I did just take some pics of the skeletons from some Indo Elegance corals that had the meandering skeletal structure like most of the Aussies, however they did not come out well. I will have to take some more pics. I have never had an Aussie die on me so I don't have any of their skeletons.

We seem to be talking about two different things. All Elegance corals have two different colors, not counting the tips of their tentacles. They have their secondary or photosynthetic pigments that are different shades of green. This can be any where between a very pale yellowish color to a blinding fluorescent green. These colors are very near the surface of the tissue. In the areas that are void of these pigments the coral should appear brown if it has not bleached. Again, this color can vary. It can be a very dark chocolate brown or a very light tan. This color is produced by the corals zooxanthellae/algae. The more zooxanthellae the coral has the darker this brown color will be. If the coral has adapted to a dimly lit environment there will be a large population of zooxanthellae causing a dark brown color. As the coral adapts to brighter light it will regulate the population of zooxanthellae in its tissues by discharging them causing the brown color to fade. This is a closeup of an Elegance showing the two different colors.