Thread: Nano vs. 90gal
View Single Post
Old 12/24/2007, 10:11 PM
Registered Member

It sounds like a decent setup to work with. I would cut down on the fish and only keep the smaller ones and have a good CUC. Then I'd get a new skimmer pump that is reliable enough so you know it is skimming when you want it to. I'd pull out all the wet/dry media and throw a light over it to make a simple refugium with chaeto and 24/7 lighting.

My 90 gallon can go several months (maybe even a year) without a water change and it's seriously overstocked IMO. It's that way because it's not actually my tank, and I just maintain it and operate it for my parents. It is set up as follows:

Lighting: 2X250W 10,000K with 2X96W PC Actinics (Upgraded from 2X150W with same Actinics

Sump: 37 Gallons with 'Fuge (Chaeto and 24 hr. lighting)

Skimmer: CSS 225

Chemical Filtration: Rena XP3 Canister with carbon in all conmpartments, 2X Phosban Reactors with Phosban and Purigen

Live Rock/Sand: 200+ Pounds Rock, 2" Sand Bed

Topoff: JBJ ATO

Livestock: 2 Percula Clowns, 2 Regal Tangs, 1 Yellow Angel, 1 Purple Tang, 1 Mandarin Dragonet

CUC: 5 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, 5 Turbo Snails, A Few Small Hermits, 5 Peppermint Shrimp, 5 Glass Shrimp

Corals/Clams/Etc.: Xenia, Open Brain, Galaxy, Zoas, Hammer, toadstool Leather, Clove, Kenya Tree, Some SPS, Other LPS, Crocea Clam, a few Tube Worms, Etc.

Of course it can be done many ways differently, but I've had success with this tank so far and it requires little maintenance (feeding once a week, water change once every few months). The trick I think is the refugium, (wet) overskimming (if that's possible), and all the live rock.